Want to explore a scientific reaction that ends with a BANG? Try this simple experiment.
What you need:
- A gallon plastic bag (I recommend the kind with a slider.)
- Clear packing tape (Just to be safe.)
- White Vinegar
- Baking Soda
- Food Coloring
- Clothes Pin
- safety goggles
What to do:
- Put a bit of vinegar in the bag.
- Add food coloring.
- Twist bag and get air out.
- Secure twist with the clothes pin.
- Add baking soda
- Close bag tightly.
- Secure opening with packing tape.
- Release clothespin when you are ready for the explosion.
- BACK AWAY!
What causes the bag to burst?
-Baking Soda is a bicarbonate and vinegar is an acid. When they come together they have a reaction that generates carbon dioxide gas. The gas builds up in the bag, which then makes the bag burst.